International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
April – May 2016
The NEBOSH International General Certificate has been designed for managers, supervisors, worker representatives and others who require a basic knowledge and understanding of health and safety principles and practices. It provides a broad knowledge for non-specialists in occupational health and safety to enable them to manage more effectively their organizational duties or functions with respect to workplace health and safety.
The NEBOSH International General Certificate is also suitable for those embarking on a career in health and safety, providing a sound basis for progression on to the NEBOSH International Diploma. The International General Certificate qualification meets the academic requirements for Technician Membership (Tech IOSH) of Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), Associate membership (AIIRSM) of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) and is also recognized by the Department of Health and Safety of the government of Cyprus.
The duration of study for the International General Certificate is a minimum of 83 hours plus private study and background reading.
The syllabus comprises three units that are separately assessed:
- Unit IGC1 Principles of Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Unit GC2 Control of International workplace hazards
- Unit GC3 Practical assessment
Unit IGC1 – Principles of Occupational Health and Safety
- Foundations in health and safety
- Health and safety management systems – Policy
- Health and safety management systems – Organising
- Health and safety management systems – Planning
- Health and safety management systems -Measuring, audit and review
Unit GC2 – Control of International workplace hazards
- Workplace hazards and risk control
- Transport hazards and risk control
- Musculoskeletal hazards and risk control
- Work equipment hazards and risk control
- Electrical safety
- Fire safety
- Chemical and biological health hazards and risk control
- Physical and psychological health hazards and risk control
Assessment is by examination which comprises two written papers:
“Principles of Occupational Health and Safety Management ” – 2 hrs
“Control of International workplace hazards ” – 2hrs
Practical assessment (GC3)
The practical assessment consists of carrying out a health and safety inspection of a workplace and preparing a management report.
Candidates successful in all three components of the Examinations/Practical Assessment will be awarded the International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety by the examining body – NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Health and Safety).
No previous health and safety knowledge is required but delegates must have sufficient knowledge of the English Language.
Course Schedule and Venue
4 April 2016 – 28 May 2016
The course will be conducted at the Intercollege Nicosia premises. The individual lessons for each module are usually conducted every Monday – Wednesday (17:00 – 21:00) and Saturday (09:00 – 15:00).
Course delivery consists of direct presentation, case studies, videos/DVDs, written exercises and revision lessons
For more information please contact:
Tel: 22 842 511