The programme is officially registered with the Ministry of Education in Cyprus.
What you will learn…
- Facilities and equipment maintenance of Liquefied natural gas (LNG) and Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
- Gaseous fuel combustion systems (boilers, burners and control systems)
- Welding methods MMA, MIG / MAG and TIG
- Transportation and storage of gaseous fuels
- Environmental regulations and safety measures
- Using specialized instruments and equipment for gaseous fuels
- Welding certification Prospect based on the ISO 9096
- Summer placement in companies and industry facilities
Duration:Three (3) years for obtaining the Higher National Diploma.
Location: Intercollege Nicosia
The Programme ” Gas Technician” deals with the installation, operation and maintenance of gas networks and equipment of liquefied petroleum gas in residential, industrial and business units, as well as the transportation, distribution, and control of such products.
After finding exploitable quantities of natural gas in Cyprus Exclusive Economic Zone, new prospects have been created for the island aiming to channel and utilise this natural resource in order to turn it into the main source of energy in Cyprus. The realization of this objective is expected to create new job opportunities in various sectors of the economy while developing professions related to the exploitation of gas and petroleum which until recently did not exist in the Cypriot market.
Recent surveys conducted by various authorities and organisations on the situation and perspective of various professions in Cyprus, showed that there is a great shortage of properly qualified people in key technical areas of industry and construction and especially artisans in the gas and petroleum sector. In addition, it has been recorded that there is a steadily increasing demand for qualified personnel, in the period 2010-2020, in specific technical sectors including the industrial and construction. The above facts combined with the lack of any other existing programme of studies in Cyprus, has led to the creation of this program in order to meet the increasing demands of the profession and to provide with excellent prospects for advancement and satisfaction in gaseous fuel such as natural gas and others.
The purpose of this program is to supply skilled and trained personnel with the necessary theoretical and practical skills to cope with increasing challenges and requirements in the Oil & Gas Technician industry such as Natural Gas and more. During your studies you will acquire the necessary knowledge for the installation, operation and maintenance of gas networks and equipment of liquefied petroleum in order to acquire the skills and qualifications required for practicing the profession in this sector.
As a graduate of this program you can work in:
- Industries that use, store or produce natural gas and petroleum products.
- Gas and oil terminals and processing plants.
- In gas and oil distribution companies.
- In design firms and installation of gas distribution networks and oil.
- In workshop repairing gas and oil appliances/equipment.
- In companies selling gas and oil appliances or equipment.
- As a freelancer.
OGT-151 Introduction to Electrical Circuits
OGT-152 Introduction to Thermodynamics
COMP-150 Introduction to Computers
BENG-121 Professional English I
OGT-171 Health and Safety at Work
OGT-153 Engineering and Technical Drawing
OGT-154 MMA Welding Technology
BENG-122 Professional English II
OGT-141 Introduction to General and Organic Chemistry
OGT-291 Summer Internship I
OGT-221 Technology and Strength of Materials
OGT-241 Classification of Hydrocarbon
OGT-231 MIG/MAG Welding Technology
OGT-255 Applications in Devices and Liquid Torches and Gaseous Fuels
OGT-242 Installations and Equipment for Liquefied Gas and Oil
OGT-272 Fire fighting and fire protection from oil and gas fuels
OGT-211 Applied Principles of Combustion
OGT-244 Transportation and Storage of Liquid / Gaseous Fuels
OGT-281 Pollution by Petroleum and remediation technologies
OGT-256 TIG Welding Technology
OGT-292 Summer Internship II